commit: abi (STABLE): more XHTML export work

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 15:54:59 EST

    okay, this is a little controversial, I guess. I (re-)implemented
    nested lists in a recent commit, and noticed a bug. Subsequently I have
    fixed this, and the fixed implementation is here, but #ifdef-ed out.

    One thing I noticed was that numbered lists that looked like

    1.
    1.1.
    1.2.
    1.2.1.
    1.2.2.
    etc.

    in AbiWord were turning into

    1.
      1.
      2.
        1.
        2.

    in browsers, which I thought was pretty naff. (The CSS2 spec. suggests
    that it is possible to fix this, but I haven't figured that out so far.)
    That and Bug 1956 prompted me to take a different approach. The second
    list implementation uses tables to do indentation and numbered lists are
    labelled "by hand". Bullets are, unfortunately, restricted to disc, circle
    and square, but I can live with that. It would be better if we could rely
    on the presense of Dingbats/Wingdings, but it seems we can't.

    I'm happy with this approach in that it creates presentationally correct
    HTML - I hope... I haven't tested the output in IE yet... (we can always
    switch back to proper list nesting.)

    The one thing that concerns me about it is how it will be interpreted by
    HTML importers into AbiWord or other word processors, because the lists
    will import as tables rather than properly nested lists.

    o more work on the XHTML exporter
    - fixes Bug 1956, which I've turned into an RFE
    - two list implementations, one using nested lists, the other using tables

    CVS:----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CVS:
    CVS: Committing in .
    CVS:
    CVS: Modified Files:
    CVS: Tag: ABI-1-0-0-STABLE
    CVS: src/wp/impexp/xp/ie_exp_HTML.cpp

    Regards, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

      `Medium atomic weights are available: Gold, Lead, Copper, Jet, Diamond,
    Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel.
      `Sapphire and Steel have been assigned...'