Re: RTF idea

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 08:03:15 EDT

    On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > --- Omer Zak <omerz@actcom.co.il> wrote:
    > > Andrew Dunbar wrote in length about the awful
    > > situation of RTF support in various word prcessors
    > > and in AbiWord in particular.

    I would just like to pointout that this would not solve our problem with
    wordpad and lists. Wordpad is fundamentally BROKEN. It screws up perfectly
    valid RTF.

    The spec says: "readers that recognize the \*\listtable keyword should
    ignore \*\pn keywords" WordPad puts in bullet or list number for both
    these contructs.

    So we could trivially solve this problem by NOT exporting the "\*\pn"
    construts but this would mean Word 95 and OO would not read in our lists
    as lists. Word 97 and Word 2000 does this.

    So solving the WordPad problem means throwing away backward compatibility
    with Word 95 and other readers.

    Having a library would not solve this either.

    Regarding Andrew's proposal, I'm happy to donate my parts of the Abi RTF
    import/export of RTF to a (l)GPL'd library but I'm not particularly
    inclined to spend much time on it.

    I have enough trouble working out how RTF should be imported into AbiWord
    without trying to solve the general problem of getting RTF
    imported/exported into any Word Processor.

    Cheers

    Martin Sevior