Re: RTF idea

From: Omer Zak (omerz@actcom.co.il)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 10:37:00 EDT

    On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Martin Sevior wrote:

    > I would just like to pointout that this would not solve our problem with
    > wordpad and lists. Wordpad is fundamentally BROKEN. It screws up perfectly
    > valid RTF.
    >
    > The spec says: "readers that recognize the \*\listtable keyword should
    > ignore \*\pn keywords" WordPad puts in bullet or list number for both
    > these contructs.
    >
    > So we could trivially solve this problem by NOT exporting the "\*\pn"
    > construts but this would mean Word 95 and OO would not read in our lists
    > as lists. Word 97 and Word 2000 does this.
    >
    > So solving the WordPad problem means throwing away backward compatibility
    > with Word 95 and other readers.

    Why?
    Isn't it enough if the user tells the library (manually or otherwise) that
    the RTF file was created by WordPad; or that he wishes the information to
    be exported into WordPad RTF format?

    About clipboard manipulations: we (in AbiWord) can ask the user if the
    text comes from or goes to WordPad; and for incoming text - maybe there is
    some heuristics which would allow the text to be automatically identified
    as coming from WordPad in 90% of the cases in which it matters?
                                                 --- Omer
    WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html