Re: internationalization: I can't get it to work

From: Raphael Finkel (raphael@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 08:30:45 EDT

    Yiddish is a language without a country. One could suggest Israel as a
    possibility, but the politics of the matter are that Israel government policy
    has done its best to suppress Yiddish in favor of Hebrew. I used yi-YI to
    indicate the YIVO orthography of Yiddish; there are several competing spelling
    systems, but YIVO has the widest acceptance. The spelling checker code (in
    other/spell/xp/ispell_checker.h) expects "yiddish-yivo.hash", and I was trying
    to be consistent. I am certainly willing to standardize to whatever seems best.

    In any case, yi-YI can't be the source of my problem. The code in
    src/wp/ap/unix/ap_UnixPrefs.cpp strips off the -YI. However, at line 104 it
    finds lc_ctype is "C" and chooses the default "en_US". I have to figure out
    why lc_ctype is "C".

    Raphael