Re: AbiWord Weekly News #137 (2003, week 13) released

From: Eric Zen (ericzen@ez-net.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 23:02:25 EST

    On 2003.04.01 13:35 Jordi Mas wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I honestly think that not Unix platforms are not treated equally. It's clear
    > that the unix guys do the main development but any Unix related fix or
    > improvement is always mentioned in the news, no matter how important it is.

    I understand your point and will get to this with your example.

    > For example, in this number Commit: Field dialog HIG/Gladification gets
    > mentioned and well explained. In the other hand, win32 font preview (that I
    > honestly think is cool) and the format table dialog box (it's also important
    > becuase we did not have this before) gets just 'named'. Marc Maurer has made a
    > very good job, there is no doubt about that, so I did.

    I know! I agree! However, as I mentioned a couple times,
    and specifically mentioned with Marc's HIGrrrification,
    I wanted screenshots to show off.

    I probably should have written you about this in particular,
    or made an official post to the devlist.
    One of the things I've been doing is plugging the screenshots
    to bring in more interest to the AWN.
    Marc's bringing Abiword upto HIG standards is a perfect
    oppourtunity to make them available.

    I *DID* consider, A LOT, about placing that specific commit
    post to the AWN, and, as unjust as it may seem, I chose not
    to do it for the lack of a visual example.
    I agree that this is unfair, but there is a difference
    between explaining that something as graphically fun as the
    font preview received fix-up X when it's more useful for many
    to actually *SEE* the difference.

    I did not intend AT ALL to suggest the importance of the
    GTK+2x work over any other platform, but the HIGrrrification
    gave the perfect oppourtunity to actually SHOW something to
    future/potential users/testers.

    > I think that all platforms should be thread equally and I think that we
    > definitely have to have the metrics to measure all the improvements, if not,
    > IMHO (I really meant this), it's not fear and it also may discurage other
    > non-unix platforms hackers.

    This has been on my mind for some time (when we last talked about it).
    In fact, if you look at the Latest Releases page, you'll notice Win32 is
    the first binary listed for both 1.0.5 and 1.1.4.

    If I had a stronger feel for a non-POSIX audience, I think I would
    be more likely to push those borderline ideas to the front,
    as naturally, there should be more Win32 users than GNOME users.

    To that end, I've even sent a message to that menagerie of sites
    that relate to C|Net about reporting software development news.
    The most suggestion I've gotten from the idea is "that's cute."

    I consider, more often than you might think, some means of getting
    the word out about the AWN and most specifically the
    developers' releases. I stopped after the furthest I could
    penetrate was "it costs $75 to get your software listed."
    I remain, to this very moment, very open to any idea on how to get
    information out to people.

    To sum up: I'm an eye-candy weasle, but I'm a caring eye-candy weasle.

    Boink,
    Zen