Re: AbiWord Weekly News #137 (2003, week 13) released

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 04:18:26 EST

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Pierre Abbat wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 22:54:39 -0500
    > From: Pierre Abbat <phma@webjockey.net>
    > To: abiword-dev <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > Subject: Re: AbiWord Weekly News #137 (2003, week 13) released
    >
    > On Tuesday 01 April 2003 16:50, Jordi Mas wrote:
    > > BTW, I hope that I can make it this summer to the dirty-old-town (Atha
    > > Cliath) (well, it's getting more clean and expensive with the years) and
    > > see Martin's presentation, that BTW looks cool! :-)
    >
    > I've heard of Baile Atha Cliath, but what's just Atha Cliath?

    Dublin, is as far as i know based on a Viking name
    Dubh being black and
    Linn being pool
    which refferred to a strange looking whirlpool that appeared on the river
    i believe due to some sort of smaller tributary river.

    Baile Atha Cliath mean
    The town (baile)
    of the fort (fort/fortress= Atha)
    of some guy called Cliath.

    This explanation is a bit dodgy but the best i can do without having to go
    look it up.

    dirty old town by the Pogues is a great song, and frankly it is amazing
    that Shane McGowan has not drunk himself to death.

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    Dubliner.