Re: Will OASIS/XML format be supported?

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 18:46:53 EDT

    > > But besides that, maybe 1-2 million people use
    > > OpenOffice on any sort of regular basis. Maybe 1-2
    > > billion people use Microsoft Word. And those
    > MSWord
    > > users can't possibly import Oasis documents, nor
    > is
    > > Microsoft likely to add such functionality.
    >
    > Microsoft will add it only some eons after hell
    > freezes over, unless
    > it's forced to do it by governments asking for it
    > explicitly.
    > This can happen only if they are shown/asked by
    > people to go for a
    > truly non-locking alternative. That's why I am
    > hoping that users of
    > all apps can have the same Free file format.

    Well, I don't honestly expect MSFT to ever do this,
    even if governments ask them to. MS Word has an
    excellent plugin API that basically speaks RTF. This
    would allow a 3rd party (ISV) to provide such a plugin
    for MS Word (or excel, or ppt, or ...), and depending
    on the approach that they took, might not be too much
    work.

    This is also why we want to do our best to support
    reading/writing the OASIS/OpenOffice file format. We
    definitely want to be able to interchange documents
    between AbiWord, OpenOffice, KOffice, ... as
    flawlessly and seamlessly as possible. SXW/OASIS looks
    to be an excellent choice for a common interchange
    format (as is RTF, for that matter).

    Unfortunately, there will likely be some flaws in our
    representation of that format, which in itself is an
    excellent reason to keep the AbiWord, KWord, ... file
    formats around. But this is also an excellent reason
    to let the users and various distributors change the
    default file format to RTF/DOC/SXW if they so wish.

    Cheers,