Re: For mingw developers ...[Fwd: Win32 GNOME 2 Patches]

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 07:25:25 EDT

     --- Daniel Glassey <danglassey@ntlworld.com> wrote: >
    Jody Goldberg wrote:
    > > On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:13:26PM -0700, Dom
    > Lachowicz wrote:
    > >
    > >>Many of the Gnome2 libraries and dependencies can
    > >>currently run "natively" on top of Win32, using
    > Gtk2,
    > >>Glib2, Gnet, and the like as their portability
    > layer.
    > >>This, IMO, is the right way to go. If we're
    > seriously
    > >>interested in this, we've got to figure out which
    > ones
    > >>don't, and why.
    > >

    > > 100% agreement.
    > >
    > > I would not advocate building a win32 version of
    > gnumeric that
    > > requires cygwin. My goal has been to remote the
    > gnome (and by proxy
    > > bonobo) dependencies, and pare things down to only
    > that set of
    > > libraries that have native builds.
    > >
    > > gtk (and by extension atk, pango, glib) have win32
    > versions.
    > > libglade and libxml are also clean. The
    > gnome-canvas may have
    > > problems due to an explicit usage of the freetype
    > pango backend.
    >
    > freetype is good on win32 as well so that should be
    > no problem.
    >
    > > libgsf is known clean on win32.
    > >
    > > libgnome would be simple were it not for bonobo
    > that will not run
    > > under win32, so both need to go. There are still
    > a few vestigages
    > > of both for me to root out. GAL is seeing minimal
    > usage, mainly the
    > > xml DOM utilities and a few widgets that will be
    > moving. So it too
    > > can be removed. Which leaves gnome-print as the
    > only real question
    > > mark.
    >
    > > The first and most important step would be for
    > someone to put a
    > > build environment in place and try it out. I just
    > can't stomach
    > > creating yet another build system.
    >
    > btw for mingw/msys at least there is no need for a
    > totally new build
    > system. It handles configure scripts ok. MSVC and a
    > really new system
    > can wait until after mingw works.
    > The main thing to start with is going to be going
    > through the
    > dependencies and going through and documenting
    > getting the right version
    > of them for win32 and patches if necessary and
    > building.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Daniel (kinda abi-mingw maintainer)
    >
    > P.S. Sorry, can't commit to this right now, busy
    > looking at how hard it
    > would be to build abi in unicode mode on win32 to
    > solve a few bugs. But,
    > if someone gets it going, I'd be happy to help where
    > I can.

    I *started* working on a Unicode Win32 build under
    MSVC6 some time ago. I only got as far as commenting
    my
    own tree for where the most obvious changes would be
    needed. Please let me know if you're going to take a
    crack at this and I'll help out. There were quite a
    few places that need to be changed - mostly not too
    tricky though.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com