Re: some explanations about revisions and related stuff

From: Robert G. Werner (robert_at_inreachtech.net)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 19:06:32 EST

    Tomas Frydrych wrote:
    [snip]

    > I have not thought this far. At present the history merely records
    > that the document was changed and when; it does not record how it was
    > changed. However, it would be very easy to link this history record
    > with the revisioning system, so that each new version also starts a
    > new revision set with the appropriate version id. I need to give some
    > thought to what would be needed for the UI, but this seems as a good
    > idea.
    >
    > Tomas

    One thing I would prefer is that the actual diffs between revisions
    are kept in a separate file so that if I ship off version 1.5 of a
    contract, the recipients aren't also going to get examples of all my
    misspellings and the stupid clauses I had to strike out in late versions.

    Sometimes you would want to pass this data on, but usually, you only
    want the person to get the latest and most up to date version of a file.

    Of course I'm coming at this from a file point of view rather than a
    printed page point of view.

    --
    In Reach Technology:    http://inreachtech.net/

    Robert G. Werner robert_at_inreachtech.net

    Tel: 559.304.5122

    "`The best way to get a drink out of a Vogon is to stick your finger down his throat...'"

    - The Book, on one of the Vogon's social inadequacies.