Re: GNOME HIG and libglade2

From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 10:11:03 EST

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Marc Maurer wrote:

    > In the light of the recent GNOME HIG documents, I want to redesign some dialogs
    > to make them HIG compliant.
    >
    > In the very distant past, the AbiWord GTK dialogs have been made using glade.
    > They are even in a CVS module. They were only used to generate *code* for the
    > dialogs. Since then, things have changed in the code, which results in the fact
    > that the glade files can NOT easily be used anymore.
    >
    > I've done some redesigning already (using Glade-2) and I don't want the horrible
    > mess as described before ever again! I want design a dialog, and not having to
    > do it ALL over again when something silly changes in our code. This means I want
    > to use libglade2 to load the UI. This will give of way more flexibility with
    > respect to our UI design.
    >
    > Now, there were some people against using libglade2. Speak now, or be silent
    > _forever_.
    >
    > Bye!
    > Marc

    I spent against this requirement. I mean if you are going to have a
    "special" library for loading widgets and all, why not go the XUL or the
    wxWindow route for XP compatibility? I disagree with the addition of yet
    another library for AbiWord.

    Cheers!

    Michael D. Pritchett
    (a lone voice in the forest)