Re: RE : INS

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 17:39:44 EST

    On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Johan Björk wrote:

    > QNX/Photon does this by making the cursor horizontal instead of
    > vertical, the lenght of one char.
    > I personaly thinks this might be a bit better, as it's more subtile and
    > I don't like big warning signs for something as common as INS/OVR as
    > it's a really handy feature :)
    >
    > Then again, if we want a huge and big 'warning' the square is probably
    > better.

    Hmm upon reflection, both the square and the underline have the issue that
    the width changes with the character you're overwriting. So for example a
    square the covers a "i" is narrower than a square that covers an "m". It
    would be impossible to complete cover the an italic "f" in Times New Roman
    since it overlaps the previous character.

    We'd need to change findPointCoords() to get this width no impossible but
    a bit of a pain.