Re: commit: abiword2.nsi

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 19:48:02 EST

     --- "Kenneth J. Davis" <jeremyd@computer.org> wrote:
    > Did some reworking so there are almost no hard coded
    > strings,
    > this includes section titles, section descriptions,
    > etc. (about 55)
    > (about 3 left in some macros for errors downloading
    > dictionaries
    > and all the strings in the NSIS plugins).
    > There are several defines that can be set (the
    > current setup matches
    > the previous NSIS 1 setup, but that will change
    > soon) to enable/
    > disable all downloadable components, the list of
    > dictionaries
    > (which are added to the archive if NODOWNLOADS is
    > set, otherwise downloaded
    > during install), (for the future) optional inclusion
    > of plugins, whether
    > the installer executable portion is compressed with
    > upx, whether a CRT DLL
    > is included (or downloadable), and determining if
    > the Modern UI should
    > be used or current classic (note: multi language is
    > only supported
    > with the use of the Modern UI [not because NSIS
    > doesn't support it, but
    > because it already has all the NSIS specific stuff
    > translated]).
    >
    > The last step needed for the multi-language
    > installer is to place the
    > strings into another file (and hopefully eventually
    > get them translated)
    > and write a script that generates a NSIS specific
    > file with all the strings
    > (using the English as a fallback).
    >
    > For the time being (until I get around to some
    > Makefile work) most
    > of these settings will only work if you manually run
    > a locally installed
    > NSIS (plus the untgz plugin 1.0.3 or later).

    Hi Jeremy. I'm really impressed with the NSIS work
    you've been doing.
    One thing struck me when I was looking at it recently.
    Now that it nicely supports multiple languages, I'm
    wondering why en-US spelling is semi-hardcoded. It
    always struck me that the only real reason we shipped
    with en-US only and made the others optional was
    because it was too much work to make and maintain
    other
    versions. Now it looks like you've actually done this
    work I think it would be a good idea for the installer
    to automatically tick only the user's language and
    treat English (US and British) just like any other
    language. Or maybe I'm missing something (:

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com