Re: RE : INS

From: Johan Björk (phearbear@home.se)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 17:25:55 EST

    Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

    >A last suggestion. Instead of using a red cursor, it better to show the
    >overwrite mode with a block caret instead of a vertical bar caret. That
    >way you give a hint to the user that you're going to "eat" the next
    >character if he writes something.
    >
    >(That's, btw, the gnome-usability suggestion. I think that there is a
    >bug report on gnome bugzilla against GtkTextView to implement something
    >like that)
    >
    >Cheers,

    QNX/Photon does this by making the cursor horizontal instead of
    vertical, the lenght of one char.
    I personaly thinks this might be a bit better, as it's more subtile and
    I don't like big warning signs for something as common as INS/OVR as
    it's a really handy feature :)

    Then again, if we want a huge and big 'warning' the square is probably
    better.

    /Johan