Re: [Attn. Tomas] Re: Commit (STABLE): slender, firm, incredibly sexy address space

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 10:07:30 EST

    Hi MG,

    > the memory contents. As a side note, Tomas, please take a look (in the
    > initializer). I'm not sure why you used the redundant calls and I
    > spent a long time analyzing the code, wondering if perhaps there is
    > some rare corner-case that needed those. If that's the case, I've my
    > finger on the revert button.

    Are you refering to the stuff that is now #if 0 and marked as
    absolete, and in particular the my_lst, etc stuff? If yes, this is what it
    is for:

    The gtk1 kit does not support utf8. This means that if your locale is
    set for instance to cs_CZ.utf-8, AW analyses the native encoding as
    utf-8 and feeds the GUI strings encoded in utf-8. The GUI, however,
    expectes iso8859-2, and so the menus are malformed, with loads of
    x's and rubish where utf-8 uses more than 1 byte. In order to work
    around that we have to feed the GUI the strings in the 8-bit encoding
    it expects, not in utf8. To be able to do this, I added the
    getNative8BitEncodingName().

    In order to determine the proper encoding to use in communicating
    with the GUI we have to do two passess in processing the langauge
    settings: (1) anlyse the locale information in the environment, and, if
    the encoding turns out to be utf-8, (2) temporarily remove the
    encoding from LANG (i.e., replace cs_CZ.utf-8 with cs_CZ) and
    analyse the locale information again to obtain the default encoding
    for cs_CZ. Now, because we changed LANG, we cannot reuse the
    old list, and have to call g_i18n_get_language_list again. So, those
    calls are not redundant.

    Obviously, with gtk2 this problem does not exist, but this code is
    essential if the gtk1 version is to be usable with a utf-8 locale (which
    on Unix is the only way to get around the 256-character set
    limitation).

    Tomas