Re: AbiWord's printing architecture

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 10:34:01 EST

    Hi Robert,

    > Am I right
    > that under AbiWord's new GTK2 version, text
    > is rendered on screen using GTK2's Pango,
    > but that AbiWord uses Xft to find and work
    > with fonts for PostScript output?

    No; in the new gtk2 version AbiWord uses xft for both rendering on
    screen and when creating PostScript output. You should just ignore
    any code that is in the #ifdef WITH_PANGO; this is something I
    have started working on a while back, but gave up for now, due to
    Pango portability issues.

    > What version requirements do you have for
    > both libararies? I have a stock SuSE 8.1
    > which is the newest you can get, but maybe
    > I'll need the BRAND newest code for either
    > of FreeType, XRender, Xft, Pango, FriBidi
    > or even something else before I can start
    > to compile the system.

    AFAIK we do not make any requirenments on FreeType, since we
    do not use it directly, and the same goes for Pango. We currently
    use FriBidi 0.10.4, for which we have a module called "fribidi" in the
    CVS (for maintaining MSVC project files), but otherwise the code is
    unpatched and any newer version of the 0.10.x series should work.
    What we require with regards to the other libraries, I do not know,
    but I am sure someone else will provided that info.

    Tomas