Re: The hash downloader

From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 09:32:19 EST

    On 27 Jan 2003, Gabriel Gerhardsson wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > As you might have noticed, I haven't been around much lately. It's
    > mostly because I've had *alot* to do, for a very long time now. Along
    > the way my motivation for working on the hash downloader has just about
    > disappeared, along with a rising feeling that the feature doesn't fit
    > and is plain wrong. Sure it's a nice thing, having the dictionary
    > automaticly downloaded with a single accepting click, but maybe it
    > doesn't belong in AbiWord after all.

    Hi Garbiel.

    I concur with your sentiment concerning the hash downloader. I do not
    expect my word processor to access the internet and download data for me
    with or without a dialog. In my opinion it is bloat and a little viral
    especially if and when the download site no longer exists - say 10 years.

    But as I build my own version from sources it is not that big of a problem
    for me. I don't know what the "user" community thinks of this feature and
    its benefits and therefore I leave it to better heads to determine if it
    belongs in AbiWord sources and to maintain it.

    Cheers!

    Michael D. Pritchett