Re: AbiWord's printing architecture

From: Robert Roebling (Robert.Roebling@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 12:07:53 EST

    > > I know people have added "auto-hinting" to FreeType
    > > recently, but that didn't match the real
    > > hinting in quality (unsurprisingly).
    >
    > I don't know what "real hinting" is,

    Well, the hinting used by Apple and the like.

    > but I think you'll find the current versions of
    > FreeType2 to generate equal or better quality
    > glyphs to what is found on commercial systems.

    I saw a comparison of different hinting algorithms
    just a few days ago, actually all taken from FT,
    2 of which were old code, one was using uptodate
    code and one with the patented code enabled.
    Although it's a matter of taste, the fonts hinted
    with the patented code looked FAR better. This
    is off-topic, though.

      Robert

    --
    Robert Roebling, MD <robert.roebling@medizin.uni-ulm.de>