Gnome Office [Re: Dublin meeting]

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 09:59:17 EDT

    On 21 Jun 2003, Marc Maurer wrote:

    > Date: 21 Jun 2003 15:09:57 +0200
    > From: Marc Maurer <j.m.maurer@student.utwente.nl>
    > To: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
    > Cc: jmas@softcatala.org, abiword-dev@abisource.com
    > Subject: Re: Dublin meeting
    >
    > > I had long discussions with Jody about joint marketing AbiWord and
    > > Gnumeric releases. Gnumeric is likely to be ready at about the same time
    > > as we will designate AbiWord-2.0 sufficiently bug-free for a 2.0 release
    > > (early August). So we thought it would be a good idea to do a joint
    > > release. This is especially compelling since David Glassey is hopeful of
    > > making a Win32 build of Gnumeric. (Which is looking looking simply
    > > superb.)
    >
    > A __very__ good idea... IMO we need to promote GNOME Office as a
    > _package_ a lot more!
    >
    > > Jody also talked about his goffice library which will contain various
    > > useful things for us. One of which would be Gunmeric's shading code, so we
    > > won't have to re-implement all MS shading patterns when we do the Borders
    > > and Shading feature.
    >
    > sweet... maybe I should talk to him about this as well, before I run
    > into an halfass attempt to implement it myself...

    I suggested to Martin that I thought a combined easy to use Gnome
    Office package that included both Abiword and Gnumeric would be really
    good. (Other programs could be added later of course)
    Martin explained to me that Gnumeric does not currently provide RPM
    packages and I said I would ask Rui very very nicely if he was interested.
    Interested?

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/