Re: Gnome Office [Re: Dublin meeting]

From: Petr Tomasek (tomasek@etf.cuni.cz)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 12:48:03 EDT

    > > > I had long discussions with Jody about joint marketing AbiWord and
    > > > Gnumeric releases. Gnumeric is likely to be ready at about the same time
    > > > as we will designate AbiWord-2.0 sufficiently bug-free for a 2.0 release
    > > > (early August). So we thought it would be a good idea to do a joint
    > > > release. This is especially compelling since David Glassey is hopeful of
    > > > making a Win32 build of Gnumeric. (Which is looking looking simply
    > > > superb.)

    Exciting!

    But what about cooperation beetween abiword and gnumeric? I.e. what about
    embedding one in another? I thing Jody said in some interview,
    gnumeric will drop (drops right now) it's support for bonobo components
    inside of gnumeric; It seems the work that was done on abiword side
    (embedding components INTO abiword) doesn't work neither.

    I think the second case would make much more sense...

    So, just a question, what is the plan?

    > I suggested to Martin that I thought a combined easy to use Gnome
    > Office package that included both Abiword and Gnumeric would be really
    > good. (Other programs could be added later of course)
    > Martin explained to me that Gnumeric does not currently provide RPM
    > packages and I said I would ask Rui very very nicely if he was interested.
    > Interested?

    Hmm... rpmbuild -tb gnumeric-1.1.X.tar.gz works for me fine.

    --
    Petr Tomasek, http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek/