Re: Gnome Office [Re: Dublin meeting]

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 13:29:36 EDT

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Petr Tomasek wrote:

    > Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:48:03 +0200
    > From: Petr Tomasek <tomasek@etf.cuni.cz>
    > To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
    > Subject: Re: Gnome Office [Re: Dublin meeting]

    > Exciting!
    >
    > But what about cooperation beetween abiword and gnumeric? I.e. what about
    > embedding one in another? I thing Jody said in some interview,
    > gnumeric will drop (drops right now) it's support for bonobo components

    He explained that embeded components are frankly only used as glorified
    screenshots. I strongly agree with him, when you want to edit stuff you
    want to edit stuff properly not in a tiny awkward embedded widget.
    Using stuff like AbiGimp and having the embedded information update when
    you are done. Full embedding is nice but overkill.

    > inside of gnumeric; It seems the work that was done on abiword side
    > (embedding components INTO abiword) doesn't work neither.

    > I think the second case would make much more sense...
    >
    > So, just a question, what is the plan?

    I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself, I expect closer
    integration will come in time.

    > Hmm... rpmbuild -tb gnumeric-1.1.X.tar.gz works for me fine.

    Okay, but that still doesn't cover having both in a nice easy to use
    Gnome-Office RPM.
    I really cant believe it is that easy considering all the work Rui puts
    into having a good RPM spec..

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/