[Fwd: Re: patch for libgnomedb headers]

From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 09:28:14 EDT

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: patch for libgnomedb headers
    From: <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    Date: Mon, June 30, 2003 11:27 pm
    To: <domlachowicz@yahoo.com>

    >> hmm, we've got, in libgda, a XML format to create
    >> .connection files
    >> which contain all necessary information to connect
    >> to the database. We
    >> can easily add there info for commands to be run.
    >>
    >> We've got also the XML query format, which although
    >> not use too
    >> extensively, it works pretty well. So, we can make a
    >> GUI to design the
    >> query, save that query to a file and run it over
    >> from the command line.
    >> It shouldn't be hard at all.
    >>
    >> What would be needed in the abiword part to do this?
    >
    > In order of precedence:
    >
    > 1) Some glue code to pass this data to GDA and then
    > get back a result set
    > 2) Some code to easily define the field names (you've
    > already mentioned the field-picker GUI that you intend
    > to work on)
    > 3) A GUI to easily create queries (though doing this
    > in Mergeant and saving the query in a way #1 can
    > recognize would definitely be preferable)

    If needed I'd be happy to help on the table creation part of the code.
    Though I'm sure Dom has that covered. This would be really cool, I'm
    looking forward to this feature.

    Can libgda use Gnumeric and/or Evo address book/ appointments files as a
    data sources? It would be really cool to be able to pull info direct
    from those. We would start to have something like an office suite then.