commit: abiword-plugins: shy code

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 09:42:39 EST

    As some of you know I'm working on an idea for a new AbiWord XML file
    format and DTDs for the new format and also for XHTML with extra mark-up.
    Web standards... everytime I think I'm beginning to understand them I
    stumble across a whole new learning curve... fun stuff :-)

    Anyway, I still have a lot to learn about DTDs and even more to learn
    about AbiWord's current file format, so it's a length process. The design
    goals for the new file format are:

    (1) [critical]
        round-trip import/export with zero data loss
    (2) [invaluable]
        CSS property names and values wherever possible
    (3) [useful]
        use of attribute names traditional in HTML and other XML
        formats, e.g.,

        (a) class= instead of style=
        (b) style= instead of props=

        and I'm working on a new table structure.

    Anyway, the DTD is still fluid and the latest version complete with a mess
    of comments can be found in webcvs or by:

    wget http://www.abisource.com/2003/awml-qname-1.mod
    wget http://www.abisource.com/2003/awml.mod

    Of course, for any of this to be really interesting I need to do two
    things:

    (1) provide clear documentation of the new file format; and
    (2) provide an implementation.

    I will work on (1) from time to time, though a sketch of the DTD of the
    existing file format can be found at http://www.abisource.com/2003/

    For (2) I'm working on a new PD_AbiWord_2 class which constructs a tree in
    memory representing the new file format. I haven't even thought about
    compiling it yet, so it's probably buggy as hell, and there's still a long
    list of TODOs... currently working on tables and then I need to rewrite
    the CSS property handling.

    Anyway, putting it in CVS as an "awml" plugin - and at some point I'll
    probably turn it into a real plugin for testing. So:

    o development code for a proposed new AWML format and import/export helper

    CVS:----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CVS:
    CVS: Committing in .
    CVS:
    CVS: Added Files:
    CVS: wp/impexp/awml/ReadMe.txt wp/impexp/awml/xp/pd_AbiWord_2.cpp
    CVS: wp/impexp/awml/xp/pd_AbiWord_2.h

    Regards, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

    In this instance, the miraculous Gulf War virus failed to do its job
    because the U.S. Air Force accidentally bombed the building where Iraq
    stored the virus-laden printers.
                      - http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/29665.html