re: localise normal.awt (bidi options)

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 10:15:00 EDT

    Hi Dom,

    OK, from your and other folk's comments on the styles, the preference
    "default to RTL" needs to stay.

    > > (1) there is a GUI through which the user can
    > > change the document property "dom-dir" (<abiword props="dom-dir:...
    > > ) so that she can change it for normal.awt and any other document
    > > (AFAIK this is currently lacking and needs to be implemented
    > > prior to 2.0 no matter what).
    >
    > Perhaps this is what the checkbox in the Options
    > dialog should do.

    That would only work for the normal template, and is rather
    unintuitive; to change the property for the current document, the
    checkbox should go wherever the combo for selecting document-wide
    language will go, probably a new tab on Format->Document

    > Templates do not get "attached." Your document starts
    > out with normal.awt as the base document. Think of it
    > like "every new document starts off by being a copy of
    > normal.awt."

    I see; I somehow assumed that the templates worked the same way they
    do in Word: you start with a template as the base document, but you
    remember which template was used and the user can attach a different
    template at any point, which results in all styles shared between the
    document and the new template being redefined to match the template.

    This is immensely useful, and would be really easy to do -- we
    basically do this in all the importers that import styles. If we add
    something like:

        void ie_imp::setLoadStylesOnly(bool)
        bool ie_imp::getLoadStylesOnly()
        virtual ie_imp::::supportsLoadStylesOnly(){return false;}

    it would be possible to reload definitions of styles from pretty much
    any document (word, rtf, abw, awt) with minimal new code -- a new
    method pd_Document::importStyles() would create the importer
    similarly to importFile(), and new edit method importStyles() would
    just use the FileOpen dialogue and then call
    pd_Document::importStyles().

    Tomas