re: localise normal.awt (bidi options)

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 10:37:26 EDT

    Hi Tomas,

    > OK, from your and other folk's comments on the
    > styles, the preference
    > "default to RTL" needs to stay.

    I don't think so. I think that the control just needs
    to be placed somewhere more intuitive.

    > That would only work for the normal template, and is
    > rather
    > unintuitive; to change the property for the current
    > document, the
    > checkbox should go wherever the combo for selecting
    > document-wide
    > language will go, probably a new tab on
    > Format->Document

    I realized this as soon as I hit 'send'.

    > > Templates do not get "attached." Your document
    > starts
    > > out with normal.awt as the base document. Think of
    > it
    > > like "every new document starts off by being a
    > copy of
    > > normal.awt."
    >
    > I see; I somehow assumed that the templates worked
    > the same way they
    > do in Word: you start with a template as the base
    > document, but you
    > remember which template was used and the user can
    > attach a different
    > template at any point, which results in all styles
    > shared between the
    > document and the new template being redefined to
    > match the template.
    >
    > This is immensely useful, and would be really easy
    > to do -- we
    > basically do this in all the importers that import
    > styles. If we add
    > something like:
    >
    > void ie_imp::setLoadStylesOnly(bool)
    > bool ie_imp::getLoadStylesOnly()
    > virtual
    > ie_imp::::supportsLoadStylesOnly(){return false;}
    >
    > it would be possible to reload definitions of styles
    > from pretty much
    > any document (word, rtf, abw, awt) with minimal new
    > code -- a new
    > method pd_Document::importStyles() would create the
    > importer
    > similarly to importFile(), and new edit method
    > importStyles() would
    > just use the FileOpen dialogue and then call
    > pd_Document::importStyles().

    It would be useful to have some of these calls. In
    fact we *need* these types of calls so that we always
    apply the styles from normal.awt to any document we
    import (and thus fix a host of bugs in bugzilla). This
    would likely be called only from
    PD_Document::importFile or something similar *before*
    we import the actual document. If you could do this, I
    would appreciate it.

    That said, templates can contain a lot more than just
    style information. While I can see some cases where it
    would be useful to link documents with templates, it's
    not clear to me that in the majority of cased you'd
    want old documents to have their styles/content/other
    changed when their base template changed, or when
    documents were transferred across computers. It's not
    clear that you want your document to look differently
    on another's machine just because their definition of
    'Normal' differs from yours. I much prefer the current
    situation to the proposed one.

    Cheers,