More thoughts on AbiShow

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 20:42:55 EST

    Hi Folks,
             I've thought some more on Marc's AbiShow proposal and I now
    mostly agree with him.

    I think it unlikely that the Abi code base will be used for anything
    other text-based applications.

    Things like Word processors (!), Presentation Programs, (AbiShow), Print
    Master clones "AbiPrint ?" or maybe DTP software "AbiPage ?"

    The original developers of Abi has a much grander vision and though in
    terms of Spreadshets, database tools, graphics programs etc..

    Consequently the xap* part of our code base is rather sparse.

    If we instead go with the idea that we stick with the more limited set
    of programs, we might as well do as Marc suggested and do a move of a
    large fraction of wp into xap.

    Specifically these are:

    ap_Dialog_Background.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Break.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Columns.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Field.cpp
    ap_Dialog_FormatFootnotes.cpp
    ap_Dialog_FormatTable.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Goto.cpp
    ap_Dialog_HdrFtr.cpp
    ap_Dialog_InsertBookmark.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Insert_DateTime.cpp
    ap_Dialog_InsertHyperlink.cpp
    ap_Dialog_InsertTable.cpp
    ap_Dialog_ListRevisions.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Lists.cpp
    ap_Dialog_MailMerge.cpp
    ap_Dialog_MarkRevisions.cpp
    ap_Dialog_MergeCells.cpp
    ap_Dialog_New.cpp
    ap_Dialog_PageNumbers.cpp
    ap_Dialog_PageSetup.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Paragraph.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Replace.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Spell.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Styles.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Stylist.cpp
    ap_Dialog_Tab.cpp
    ap_Dialog_ToggleCase.cpp
    ap_Dialog_WordCount.cpp
    ap_Preview_Abi.cpp
    ap_Preview_Paragraph.cpp
    ap_Ruler.cpp

    In the interests of getting AbiShow up and running quickly, I also
    suggest we fork ap_Frame*, ap_App*, ap_EditMethods, ap_Menu*,
    ap_Toolbar* into
    show/ap

    We also need two extra modes for fv_View.

    1. Editting show pages.
    2. running abishow

    We need to make new fv_View::_draw methods for drawing when in these
    contexts.

    We also need extra mouse contexts for running abishow.

    However we could get a program that display's static Abiword pages on a
    full screen and which advances with clicks rather quickly.

    At that point we could put out a call for volenteers to work on AbiShow
    and we'd also have a sensible framework for the other types of text
    based programs I mentioned.

    OK those are my thoughts. Do others have views?