Re: More thoughts on AbiShow

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 20:41:32 EST

    I don't want to be a downer, but I think that this is
    horribly counter-productive in general and
    destabilizing for the Abi tree. In short, I don't
    think that anything will come of it. But I'd love to
    be proven wrong.

    If I had time to work on such a presentation program,
    I don't think that I'd base it on the Abi framework.
    At least not as things currently stand. There's 5+
    years of accumulated cruft, hacks and misdesign in
    there that need to be addressed before Abi moves on to
    2.2 - let alone the perils I see arising when we
    create a sister project.

    Getting a presentation presentation program off the
    ground needs a handful of sharp and fresh minds. Minds
    whose willingness and dedication are virtually
    unparalleled. And while I think we have some
    preliminary interest (even from sharp minds like
    Martin), I don't think that we have the community of
    sharp minds that I think will be necessary for *Show
    to be a success, let alone get off the ground.

    Regretfully,
    Dom

    --- Martin Sevior <msevior@seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au>