Re: More thoughts on AbiShow

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 22:19:06 EST

    On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 12:41, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > I don't want to be a downer, but I think that this is
    > horribly counter-productive in general and
    > destabilizing for the Abi tree. In short, I don't
    > think that anything will come of it. But I'd love to
    > be proven wrong.
    >
    > If I had time to work on such a presentation program,
    > I don't think that I'd base it on the Abi framework.
    > At least not as things currently stand. There's 5+
    > years of accumulated cruft, hacks and misdesign in
    > there that need to be addressed before Abi moves on to
    > 2.2 - let alone the perils I see arising when we
    > create a sister project.
    >
    > Getting a presentation presentation program off the
    > ground needs a handful of sharp and fresh minds. Minds
    > whose willingness and dedication are virtually
    > unparalleled. And while I think we have some
    > preliminary interest (even from sharp minds like
    > Martin), I don't think that we have the community of
    > sharp minds that I think will be necessary for *Show
    > to be a success, let alone get off the ground.
    >
    > Regretfully,
    > Dom

    Hi Dom,
           Of course you're right about "needing dedicated individuals to do
    all the work". I have more than enough to do to get AbiWord to where I
    want it to be for 2.2. However I can't stop thinking about how to do all
    this using the codebase I know so well. I use PowerPoint a lot in my job
    and it irks me that I think I know how to do it with what I already
    know.

    I also know that AbiWord will never be finished. There will always be
    new ways to do things even after we feature-matching with our
    competition.

    I don't know if there are dedicated individuals out there who want to
    run with these ideas. I hope there are. If there are I want them to know
    what I've been thinking.