Re: The AbiWord/libfribidi0 issue

From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms_at_1407.org)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 20:14:41 EST

    On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 04:40, M. Fioretti wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 10:47:42 at 10:47:42AM +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra (rms_at_1407.org) wrote:
    > It's almost one month since when I asked here how to compile slimmer
    > rpms for RH9, and my net connection is down now, so I'll have to go
    > with memory.

    > When a program is packaged for a distribution it should integrate with
    > it as much as possible. Package wise this means that if AbiWord
    > requires specific releases of X, Y and Z, and these are *already*
    > packaged for the stable or testing version of the target distro, the
    > abiword package should be built against *them*.

    Great. Then show me where in RH9 is libfribidi. Thank you. ;)

    Now more seriously, the packages I made are in Savannah where there's
    also a misc/ directory where there usually are some required packages
    for the version of AbiWord you're looking for. However, if there is a
    problem I would have liked bug reports.

    <rant>
    I've always asked to have savannah.gnu.org/download/abiword also listed
    in the download pages, also because of the extra packages that are
    needed.
    </rant>

    > The abiword packagers
    > should also build public RPMs for X, Y or Z only if:

    It's not possible, AFAICT, to build abiword 2 with _only_ rh9.

    > When last month the abi RPM asked libfribidi, I searched Red Hat 9
    > first, then rawhide. Since a fribidi was there, there was no reason to
    > look elsewhere for another package, it would have no reason to exist.

    rawhide is not the place for RPMS for RH9. You where lucky they even
    worked :)

    Hugs, Rui

    + So let's do it...?

    Please AVOID sending me WORD, EXCEL or POWERPOINT attachments. See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html