Re: Commit: improved SVG rendering

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 17:38:13 EDT

    Feel free to reinvent the wheel here if you want to.
    I'm not going to - I've put too much time and energy
    into RSVG already. You do it, you go it alone.

    Besides, our graphics classes aren't nearly
    sophisticated enough to represent SVG.

    Also, for the record, I have never endorsed RSVG for
    general use in AbiWord. I haven't even *hinted* at
    that. It is a plugin, and will stay as a plugin for
    the forseeable future.

    And, also for the record, that's not a LOT of overhead
    for "just drawing" SVGs, considering what you need to
    do for the task at hand:

    *) Glib - for lists and stuff.
    *) Pango + Freetype - for complicated text rendering
    that is damn hard to do by yourself.
    *) Libart - for producing all sorts of RGBA data.
    Sophisticated PS/PDF drawing layer.
    *) GdkPixbuf - for loading arbitrary image types in as
    RGBA images, so we can composite them with our our
    RGBA buffer.
    *) LibXML2 - to, like, parse the XML.

    RSVG was never meant to be part of the AbiWord
    "framework". It was meant to be part of the Gnome one,
    and as such, it doesn't have any overhead that Gnome
    itself doesn't already have.

    I've got better things to do with my time.

    Dom