Re: Commit: improved SVG rendering

From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 20:49:18 EDT

    At 2:38 PM -0700 10/2/03, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    >Also, for the record, I have never endorsed RSVG for
    >general use in AbiWord. I haven't even *hinted* at
    >that. It is a plugin, and will stay as a plugin for
    >the forseeable future.

            I had forgotten that it was a plugin - thanks for the
    reminder. As such, you are right, it's better off completely
    stand-alone with all that that entails and not trying to directly
    integrate with AW.

    >And, also for the record, that's not a LOT of overhead
    >for "just drawing" SVGs,

            In general, I completely agree. HOWEVER, INSIDE of a program
    like AbiWord which already offers a framework for many/most of these
    things, it's duplication.

    >considering what you need to
    >do for the task at hand:
    >
    >*) Glib - for lists and stuff.

            AW has it's own list and other classes...

    >*) Pango + Freetype - for complicated text rendering
    >that is damn hard to do by yourself.

            AW has a text engine that can render most (though certainly
    not all) of the things that Pango/FT can.

    >*) Libart - for producing all sorts of RGBA data.
    >Sophisticated PS/PDF drawing layer.

            AW has a set of basic graphic classes that could easily be
    extended to support the few missing pieces (curves, etc.).

    >*) GdkPixbuf - for loading arbitrary image types in as
    >RGBA images, so we can composite them with our our
    >RGBA buffer.

            And isn't this too already used/abstracted in AW for handling
    of raster images??

    >*) LibXML2 - to, like, parse the XML.

            Already used by AW for it's own file format.

    Leonard

    Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr@lazerware.com>
                          			     <http://www.lazerware.com>