Re: Commit: improved SVG rendering

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 22:39:38 EDT

    On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 10:49, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
    > At 2:38 PM -0700 10/2/03, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > >Also, for the record, I have never endorsed RSVG for
    > >general use in AbiWord. I haven't even *hinted* at
    > >that. It is a plugin, and will stay as a plugin for
    > >the forseeable future.
    >
    > I had forgotten that it was a plugin - thanks for the
    > reminder. As such, you are right, it's better off completely
    > stand-alone with all that that entails and not trying to directly
    > integrate with AW.
    >

    > >And, also for the record, that's not a LOT of overhead
    > >for "just drawing" SVGs,
    >
    > In general, I completely agree. HOWEVER, INSIDE of a program
    > like AbiWord which already offers a framework for many/most of these
    > things, it's duplication.
    >

    > >considering what you need to
    > >do for the task at hand:
    > >
    > >*) Glib - for lists and stuff.
    >
    > AW has it's own list and other classes...
    >

    > >*) Pango + Freetype - for complicated text rendering
    > >that is damn hard to do by yourself.
    >
    > AW has a text engine that can render most (though certainly
    > not all) of the things that Pango/FT can.
    >

    > >*) Libart - for producing all sorts of RGBA data.
    > >Sophisticated PS/PDF drawing layer.
    >
    > AW has a set of basic graphic classes that could easily be
    > extended to support the few missing pieces (curves, etc.).

    Hi Leonard,
              Before we get this far, the Windows front end has a series bug
    just selecting fonts and rendering text. This is why there is no binary
    AbiWord-2.0 release. We could *really* use some experienced Windows
    developer time to resolve it and fix it so we can release AbiWord-2.0.1
    with a non-broken Windows binary. I'm sure the fix is less than 50 LOC
    (prolly more like 20) BUT it needs someone who understands how the
    Windows GDI actually works.

    Please read the threads related to

    It is rather frustrating to read that "basic graphic classes that could
    easily be extended to support the few missing pieces (curves, etc.)."

    When this basic stuff is broken and the simple little extensions (that
    are trivial in GTK2) will take ages to implement on Windows.

    > >*) GdkPixbuf - for loading arbitrary image types in as
    > >RGBA images, so we can composite them with our our
    > >RGBA buffer.
    >
    > And isn't this too already used/abstracted in AW for handling
    > of raster images??

    No We just blit images onto the graphics class.