Re: AbiWord Cygwin Port

From: Kenneth J. Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 19:53:30 EDT

    From: Gerrit P. Haase (gp@familiehaase.de)
    Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 17:12:23 EDT
    >Hallo,
    >
    >I'm trying to 'port' AbiWord to Cygwin. The goal is to get a clean
    >build of libwmf, wvWare and AbiWord, means to use the unix sources,
    >without the need to patch the sources all over the place.
    >
    >I used wv-1.0 from the wvware.sourceforge.net site and abi-2.0.0 now
    >which is not really compatible (when configured with system-wv). So
    >wv-1.0 uses pkg-config but the abi configure is not able to find the
    >wv library informations in the system.
    >
    >It seems that Cygwin is used to build the Windows version of AbiWord,
    >therefore I have some difficulties, e.g. PLATFORM is defined to WIN32
    >when uname says CYGWIN and missing functions in Cygwin (e.g. rint()).
    >
    >I think you should use another macro to define whether you're going
    >build a native version for Windows with the underlaying base of
    >Cygwin, maybe another flag for configure? Please don't use CYGWIN as
    >an identifier for WIN32! CYGWIN != WIN32.

    The MSVC (ie what you call native) build does not use configure.
    A minimal set of cygwin tools are required for the makefile based
    build, and since Windows has no uname, cygwin's uname is used, hence
    the CYGWIN -> WIN32. However, if you really wanted a cygwin build,
    from the Makefile comments, you can specify ABI_OPT_CYGWIN_UNIX=1
    to get a cygwin/gcc/gtk build. As I doubt anyone has attempted to
    build this way in quite some time, realistically it will fail, but
    it was the intended method (I assume) of overriding the default.

    As MSVC is still our standard compiler for Windows builds, any
    changes that effect building with it (e.g. requiring a new option
    on the command line to use MSVC) should be approved by Jordi & Dom.

    >I needed to add some code to get it compiled. I am willing to
    >contribute time, patches and know-how to get AbiWord up and running as
    >a native Cygwin-XFree86 version besides your already existing native
    >WIN32 version. If the Cygwin folks is accepting AbiWord as a package.
    >I would also act as a maintainer for the packages (AbiWord & wvWare)
    >for the Cygwin platform.

    Cool, then we'd have MinGW and Cygwin builds. I will try to help
    any way I can, (just let me know) and add the cygwin build to
    as one of my tinderbox client's compilers [something I wanted to do
    anyway].

    >Regards,
    >Gerrit

    Jeremy Davis