Image Loaders on Win32 (was Re: Re[2]: Packaging wishes for 2.0.1)

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 12:06:44 EDT

    Changing the topic a bit toward something I'd find
    more productive -

    So, on Unix, we have an architecture called GdkPixbuf.
    On MacOSX, there is QuickTime. Like ImageMagick,
    they're capable of loading lots of different image
    formats, displaying it, and giving you back the image
    in some other format - say PNG, RGBA, etc...

    I was just wondering if there was anything similar on
    Win32 and QNX. Could be a COM object. Could be some
    GDI/GDI+ APIs that I'm unfamiliar with. MSIE,
    MSOffice, etc... use some control or API to do this.
    Why can't we do the same?

    If so, it would be cool for us to use this sort of
    technology. We'd be capable of handling anything the
    underlying OS was capable of handling, which is a good
    measuring-stick notch.

    The necessary bits would already be loaded, so the
    plugin would be pretty light-weight. We'd avoid the
    speed, bloat, and packaging issues that ImageMagick
    brings with it, and we'd avoid the mess of packaging
    lots of smaller plugins.

    I don't know if this is feasible - for all I know, I
    could be talking out of my ass. Proof (or proof to the
    contrary) is appreciated.

    Best regards,