Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Marc Maurer (j.m.maurer@student.utwente.nl)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 18:43:58 EST

    > Not that it matters, but I don't want this for Win32.
    >
    > Then again, I have lost faith that any specific reason against would do
    > any good.

    Please read this through:

    Consider this: we'd like to extend abi's functionality. Now, all 'new'
    functionality needs to available on all platforms, since users expect
    that from a 'cross platform' application.

    If you can come up with a way to organize this in a similar fashion like
    we arrange, say, our dialogs (ie. some set of ./mac ./unix ./qnx ./xp
    directories), then that would be great. That way we're avoiding adding
    libraries that dupe functionality already available on a platform
    (that's why you're against, right?).

    *However*, I doubt very much that a framework could be constructed so
    that we A) provide the same functionality on all platforms, and B) we
    totally avoid duping stuff already provided by the OS.

    I'm with you on the added dependencies/duping stuff thing, which I would like to avoid very much as well! But I also see the 'need' to use them to bring AbiWord's functionality to the next level. IMO, the goods outweigh the bads.

    It would a pity when you decided to stop working on Abi because of this, but it's your choice. You have to have fun hacking on Abi; if not, then stopping would be the choice the make.

    Thanks for all the work you contributed to AbiWord up to now. Hope to seeing you around in the future.
      Marc