Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 18:47:46 EST

    Hello,

    > There are some direct implications of this changeover
    > that could greatly benefit the win32 folks too. GSF
    > will probably soon have a libcurl backend - so the
    > win32 port will also be able to read remote files. GSF

    Windows system have a wininet.dll library that provides the same services
    (different API) that libcurl does. To use libcurl to read remote file under
    win32 is unnecessary. Not to mention that libcurl will not honor any possible
    proxy or Internet settings that you have defined in your win32 system.

    > also has a half-working implementation of IStream and
    > ADODB::Stream, meaning that Abi could easily
    > communicate with most COM components or that Abi could
    > be a COM component talking to the outside world. It
    > also means that Abi could act upon things like BLOBs
    > inside of databases. Abi could easily be part of OLE
    > or backoffice automation projects. Abi could be
    > invoked from ASP scripts running on IIS servers, and
    > then persisted to a database. And I think that is
    > immensely cool.

    Well, for you non-win32 all of these can be very cool but in win32 we already
    have all of this very handy.

    I would like to see all of this libgsf giving benefit to all of you non-win32
    systems, but also not adding unnecesary overhead on the win32.

    A part of that, I think that is cool that people from diffent projects
    (Gnumeric, Abiword, etc) work together to share code!

    Thanks,

    --

    Jordi Mas i Hernāndez (homepage http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas) http://www.softcatala.org