Re: IO Abstraction: was Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 19:30:48 EST

    LibGSF is already an IO abstraction layer. In fact,
    it's often an IO abstraction layer around yet another
    abstraction layer (GnomeVFS, IStream, ...). Yes, I
    suppose that we could make yet another IO abstraction
    layer still around it. But I argue that doing such a
    thing would be pointless, time consuming, and
    counterproductive.

    Further, to handle the compound OLE2/ZIP stuff that
    GSF does, we'd need to re-implement ZIP and OLE2
    handling in terms of that IO abstraction. That is,
    unless you don't want to handle OpenOffice, MSWord,
    StarWriter, WordPerfect, etc... documents any more. In
    which case, I believe that projects like GEdit and
    Notepad are looking for help.

    The "overhead" we're talking about here is Glib-2.0,
    not things like libcurl, gnome-vfs, bonobo, et. al.
    These things are optional and *should* be implemented
    in terms of their native equivalents - i.e.
    WinInet.dll, IStream, ADODB::Stream, etc...

    Glib-2.0 is a professional portability library, albeit
    not a universally welcomed or popular one. I don't
    regret implementing GSF or Enchant in terms of it.
    It's light years beyond what Abi has done ourselves.

    Best regards,