Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Jody Goldberg (jody@gnome.org)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 22:36:41 EST

    On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 03:49:26PM -0600, Michael D. Pritchett wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
    >

    > > For developers on other platfroms, I believe the plan is for all platforms
    > > to have this capability, not just GNOME. libgsf is highly portable and
    > > employs portable libraries like glib, zlib etc.
    > >
    > > If you don't want your platform to have libgsf capability please send an
    > > email and complain and be specific in your reasons.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Martin
    > >

    > Not that it matters, but I don't want this for Win32.

    <pontification>
    I'd be very interested to hear why. libgsf was created specificly
    to provide a shareable cross platform library that Gnumeric and
    abi could both use. Something akin to the xp_* layer in abi, in a
    form that Gnumeric could digest too. Admittedly that is a bit of a
    pill for abi-folk to swallow, so I've done a significant amount of
    work to ensure there is lots of sugar to help it go down. Even if
    you ignore the benefits of a larger user and maintenance base for
    the library (rather than rolling your own in abi) there are benefits
    such as
        - better OLE2 than MS in several areas (eg exporting block sizes
          other than 4k)
        - A nice fast collection of libxml wrappers that make SAX
          input/output parsers much easier to maintain.
        - The benefit of a coherent interface to several different forms
          of i/o. Something that has gone through the rigours of
          testing for an app of similar scope/complexity as abi.

    Once libgsf is indeed shared. There are huge potential benefits.
    Most notably, we can start actively sharing code between our
    projects.
    1) OO import/export support code. Why should we waste precious
       resources duplicating this ?
    2) Encryption
    3) A structured file format for embedding Gnumeric content in abi or
       vice versa.
    </pontification>

    <flattery>
    As an experienced win32 abi-developer it would be great to get your
    ideas on how to wrap native win32 capabilities rather than using
    a cross platform lib like libcurl. In a gnome environment we're
    better off using gnome-vfs, in KDE kio, in win32 or OSX we'll want
    something else. The goal as always is to make the app blend into
    its environment while providing developers with a uniform interface
    so that we don't have to think about it more than once.
    </flattery>

    Best Wishes,
        Jody