Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 14:55:28 EST

    > <flattery>
    > As an experienced win32 abi-developer it would be great to get your
    > ideas on how to wrap native win32 capabilities rather than using
    > a cross platform lib like libcurl. In a gnome environment we're
    > better off using gnome-vfs, in KDE kio, in win32 or OSX we'll want
    > something else. The goal as always is to make the app blend into
    > its environment while providing developers with a uniform interface
    > so that we don't have to think about it more than once.
    > </flattery>

    It will be cool to have a detailed list of which things exactly libgsf is
    supposed to abstract.

    <in my opinion>

    In some cases, the best way of archiving this goal may be to follow the
    Abiword model, that is, XP + platform indepedent code. For example, you define
    an API that you need to use Internet related protocols. Under Unix it can be
    just a wrapper over libcurl, in win32 just a wrapper over wininet, and so on
    other platforms.

    In other cases, we may just have an XP code common to all platforms and add a
    new library dependacy.

    I think that we should be open about this, to let people have whatever is more
    efficient and natural in their platform.

    What does not sense to me is to emulate under win32 features that are already
    provided by the operating system.

    </in my opinion>

    Thanks,

    --