Re: and I was called paranoid and FUD-monger...

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 14:10:06 EDT

    > Not you. We.
    > Can we stop Microsoft? Of course not.
    > Do we want to try? Of course we're unable.
    >
    > Are we going to be hurt by their announced changes?
    > Certainly so.

    Possibly. If such changes exist. Perhaps we'll be
    "inconvenienced" rather than hurt. I honestly don't
    know what the future will hold. But I draw a
    distinction between the possibilities. You don't.

    > Is this anti-competitive?
    > Certainly so.
    >
    > Should we put a bag over our heads?
    > Certainly not.

    I never advocated that. I'm advocating dealing with
    the technical problem when the technical problem
    actually exists - and it doesn't yet, unless you've
    got specs that I'm unaware of. As such, this is
    currently a political problem, and I don't want this
    political problem discussed on my mailing list,
    especially under a "nyah-nyah I told you so" attitude.
    No one disbelieved that it could happen. What "it" is
    exactly still remains to be seen, though...

    > > Any discussion on this topic in an AbiWord context
    > is
    > > thus moot and pointless.
    >
    > It's as moot as no user using AbiWord since he most
    > likely won't be able
    > to read documents send by his familiars, fellow
    > employees or bosses.

    As a political discussion, it *is* moot. This isn't a
    political list, nor should it become one. As a
    technical discussion, there's really nothing to
    discuss beyond mere speculation. As such, that point
    is currently moot. When we're faced with a real
    problem, as opposed to speculation about a potential
    problem, then we can deal with it.

    That said, if you had said:

    "Please write to your congresspersons and explain your
    fear of MSFT and its anti-competitive practices. I
    don't want to see this happen." it would've been ok.
    You didn't say that.

    > Only Adobe's extensions to PDF are proprietary,
    > being the rest
    > documented.

    Adobe controls the spec. It owns the copyright on the
    reference manuals. In the PDF world, the defacto
    standard is "whatever Acrobat will or won't read." It
    is the yardstick. Adobe controls the dominant
    implementation. It controls the format. It's as
    proprietary as anything else MSFT produces. PDF just
    happens to be documented in a book or three also
    published by Adobe Press. It's hardly a W3 or OASIS
    standard... Is Adobe the lesser of 2 evils? Maybe. Is
    there a better alternative still? Undoubtedly
    (OpenOffice, Abi, LaTeX, ...).

    > Besides, there's much more pdf generating Free
    > Software than Adobe's,
    > which will only produce pdf's that can be viewed by
    > Free Software as
    > well.

    The spec is still "non-free." And the only PDF editing
    tool that barely resembles a word processor (Acrobat)
    is non-Free.

    Sure you can turn LaTeX or ABW to PDF. Let's advocate
    sending those formats instead, as they preserve
    editability and readability, and are relatively
    portable formats with Free implementations.

    The existence of free PDF generators and readers is
    nice. They're still writing to a non-Free standard.
    They _still_ don't fit the niche that a DOC does, even
    though there is some small amount of overlap.

    > Now, are those specs public? Where?

    www.wotsit.org
    www.wvware.com
    kde.org

    They used to be on MSDN, and were done by MSFT Press.
    They can't "revoke" their documentation and specs.
    They can, however, make them irrelevant. I think that
    they'd like to revoke the docs, but the fact is that
    they did produce a SPEC/Documentation and made it
    freely available to the world.

    > Did you even read the text?
    >
    > Many GNU users who receive Word documents try to
    > find ways to handle
    > them. You can manage to find the somewhat obfuscated
    > ASCII text in
    > the file by skimming through it. Free software today
    > can read some
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Word documents, but not all--the format is secret
    > and has not been

    > entirely decoded. Even worse, Microsoft can change
    > it at any time.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

    MSFT can change it, though not quite on the whim that
    this suggests. However, I didn't discount that part.
    Just the part where he seriously slapped wv, wv2,
    antiword, catdoc, OpenOffice, AbiWord, Koffice, et.
    al. in the face. Or perhaps you missed the
    implications that we were lousy products. Also, the
    format isn't really secret. I say this from some large
    measure of experience, as RMS speaks from none.

    > Yes and no. Plain text can be used to write .tex
    > documents.

    Plaintext is an extremely poor substitute for complex
    documents at preserving both presentation and
    semantics. Unix makes no distinction between binary
    and text files. DOCs are also just "plain text." LaTeX
    is (arguably) easier for you to read, though.

    Plaintext means "unformatted text. no markup
    language." That's why HTML, TEX, ABW, etc... have
    their own extensions, file formats, mime-types, etc...
    If what this author meant was "send it in some
    human-readable format, such as HTML, LaTeX, or ABW",
    then the author failed miserably.

    > > "Why did you choose to send me 876,377 bytes in
    > your
    > > recent message when the content is only 27,133
    > bytes?"
    > > - Uh, because there were tables, frames, columns,
    > > images, and an embedded spreadsheet in the
    > document.
    > > Duh.
    >
    > Don't you think the reader who proposed that message
    > knows that?
    > He probably had a way to get read that document and
    > convert it to a more
    > suitable format, thus hugely reducing the content.

    Yes. Because PDF is so much more compressed than
    DOC... Anyone who would blindly make that above
    statement knows less than nil about PDF or DOC, other
    than he/she doesn't like DOC...

    DOC is surprisingly un-bloated in many respects. Much
    of its internals revolve around applying small binary
    diffs to "default" structures. But I suppose you knew
    that already.

    Sure, OLE adds a somewhat sizable wrapper around it.
    But so does most any container format (OOo's JAR,
    TAR.GZ, AR, ...). Using a compound document format
    here is a good idea, believe it or not.

    > I've found some word docs to greatly reduce in size
    > when converted to
    > AbiWord's current format without loss of information
    > other than some
    > format changes and oddities.

    If they were advocating the ABW format, I might
    partially agree with that. But they aren't. And as
    soon as you start inserting some images (which we then
    base64 encode), our size easily passes the equivalent
    DOC's. Not to mention the verbosity that XML produces,
    plus our Piece Table doesn't prune out most redunant
    properties (bug 437). So, no, it really isn't just
    that simple Sc0tt.

    > There must be a reason for my experience to differ
    > from
    > your theory.

    Look at the wv or wv2 source code. Its highest version
    is "WORD8" aka Word97. Now feed it a document created
    by Office XP. Gee, it "just works." There are small
    changes at worst. It's not a theory, it's a fact.

    Best regards,