Wanted: Abiword on Red Hat 9 HOWTO

From: M. Fioretti (m.fioretti@inwind.it)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 01:04:00 EDT

    On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 11:46:27 at 11:46:27AM -0700, Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com) wrote:
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15518&release_id=184235
    >
    > Specifically:
    >
    > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/enchant-1.0.0-2.i386.rpm?download
    > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/enchant-1.0.0-2.src.rpm?download
    > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/enchant-devel-1.0.0-2.i386.rpm?download

    Dom,
    thanks for the information. sourceforge.net is not reachable to me
    now, so my apologies if this is explained there. However, the info
    above is not complete for Red Hat 9: I could not install those RPMs
    because glib (and maybe something else) is missing on the system.

    I am not blaming anybody for this, but it seems evident to me that a
    mini-howto about "Installing AbiWord 2.x on a BAREBONE Red Hat 9
    /Fedora box" is needed. I'm talking of ONE single page, or paragraph saying

    "the abiword RPM is this, and to install *this* version on base Red
    Hat 9 without Gnome, just X, you need:

    this version of enchant, RPM is here
    this version of glib, RPM is here
    etc...

    This is all the more needed because RPMs for those packages and RH9 do
    exist, but are scattered here and there, and not listed in the usual
    places (www.rpmfind.net to begin with). Only googling and guessing is
    left.

    I am willing to put together this mini-howto for the Abiword web
    pages, but I need all developers help to figure out which version of
    what is needed, and to make an RPM of it if it doesn't exist yet.

    The last part means "I'll build RPMs with the spec file you
    provide/help me to write, and report here any fault until it works"

    Any feedback is appreciated.

    TIA,
            Marco Fioretti

    --
    Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. R. A. Heinlein