word import (was Re: ATTN: CVS HEAD in FEATURE FREEZE

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 04:14:16 EDT

    > In addition we *have* to work out how to import text boxes from MSWord.
    >
    > Is there a tool for examing the binary stream from a *.doc format?
    >
    > I think we can reverse engineer the structures needed for Text box
    > import/export by examining slight variations on simple cases with such a
    > tool.

    I do not know of any tool, but I have started working on this with
    not much success; you can examine the relevant memory contents inside
    _handleTextBoxes() after the call to wvGetPLCF(). There are some
    patterns there, but not as predictable as we would like -- what is
    worse, the data size appears to be variable, i.e., inserting multiple
    textboxes results in non-linear change in the size of the data.

    I am currently quite busy (in the process of buying a house, getting
    ready for LUDEX next week and the end of semester, the busiest time
    of the whole year at work, is only three weeks away, so I am unlikely
    to have a huge amount of time to spent on this particular issue
    before mid May.

    Tomas