Re: Notes regarding implementing a Searchbar into Abiword

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 23:06:13 CET

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Jordi Mas wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:42:03 +0100
>> From: Jordi Mas <jmas@softcatala.org>
>> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@maths.tcd.ie>
>> Cc: abidevlist <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
>> Subject: Re: Notes regarding implementing a Searchbar into Abiword
>

>> I honestly believe that this is a useful feature for our users and I
>> have seen
>> other people that thinks in the same lines. If there is more people that
>> thinks that is not useful I'm ok with forgetting about it and move to
>> other
>> issues in Abiword (like fixing more bugs). I do not have a personal
>> attachment
>> to the idea, I just think that is useful.
>
> On balance I think it is worth trying and I wouldn't presume to tell you
> how to use your own time (but once it was in I doubt it would it ever be
> removed). I'd be a little concered about adding duplicate functionality
> but If you can do it as a plugin then I'd have no objection whatsoever.

Hi Alan,
        Every toolbar button duplicates some functionality. I don't think
this should be a plugin. If it's the 5th toolbar in the
view->toolbar list (as it should be) I suspect 95% of users will
never use it anyway but it will be a nice and usefull feature if
combined with replace.

I've found our current non-modal dialog for find/replace to be cumbersome
because it takes up document space. Having this in the toolbar will make
finding/replacing stuff much easier to do.