Re: commit: stylist dialog box localisation fixes

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 21:29:18 CET

> >position (I do as well - e.g. plugin
> incompatibility)
> >

> I've heard this mentioned a few times but never
> could get any
> specifics. What exactly is the issue with our
> MinGW-built binaries and
> "plugin incompatibility"?

If I remember correctly, there are differences
(perhaps subtle, perhaps not) between MinGW and MSVC
regarding:

1) Calling conventions
2) How C++ class VTABLEs are supposed to look like
(C++ ABI)
3) How templatetized classes (eg. UT_Vector, UT_Map)
expand

Of course, MinGW should behave like MSVC does, and
AFAIK they're striving to that end.

This all amounts to a MinGW-built AbiWord not being
able to load MSVC-built plugins and vice-versa. Of
course, this is largely my fault for hastily slapping
a plugin architecture on top of 4 year old C++ code
(and, consequentially, why things like COM exist).
This is also why moving to a stable API/ABI C plugin
architecture would be a win for us as a project. Of
course, that's a lot of work, and is easier said than
done.

Best,