Re: RFC: 2.3 feature list

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 23:20:10 CET

> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 10:35 +0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>> 1. EndOfBlock strux
>> In my view this is an absolute must, and should be among the
>> first
>> things we do; if nothing else, it will make it possible for the
>> user
>> to select blocks in an intuitive and unambigious manner.

This will introduce *A LOT* of regressions at first. We will have a hard
time sorting through all the issues and we will need our intrepid QA guys
to find all the nasty little holes we've left.

That said, it will make the PT much easier to work with once we work
around all the work arounds we've put in for the fact that we don't have
an end of block strux.

>> 2. Pango graphics on *nix
>> We have made good progress with support for complex scripts on
>> Win32;
>> need to catch up on *nix.
>>
>> 3. Enchant on win32
>> I would quite like to see this, to be able to make use of any
>> system/other spell-checking libs, just as fjf is doing on the
>> Mac,
>> but have not investigated the feasibility/real usefulness.
>>
>> 4. XP framework for Ink support conforming to InkML
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-InkML-20040928/)
>> Ink support would be very cool, particularly considering the
>> TAbiWord project (see sourceforge).
>
> I'm not really sure of this one.
>
> 5. Index support

We have a very large part of what we need for index support already in
place in the TOC code. It just needs repacking ala positioned images vs
text boxes.

> 6. Vector graphics

Yes!

> 7. Object embedding

needs the above and would be very nice.

My "small" extra features would be:

1. Progress bar.
2. Split screens.
3. Optional Tabbed interface like firefox.

These two will benefit enormously from Marc's RC work.

4. Grammar checking framework to allow grammar checkers to be plugged into
AbiWord
5. Tables allowed as first struxes in sections
6. TOC's export to RTF
7. Positioned objects imported from MS Word
8. Sort table columns/rows
9. Repeating table rows on pages

I fully agree with Tomas about enabling complex scripts for the Unix build.
Linux appears to be really taking hold in India and we have a natural
advantage over OOo there if we can do complex scripts.

However the pango integration should happen after Marc's doubles patch is
incorporated.

My big extra feature is Math.

This already seems like too much work for 2.4 and I really want to keep
the AbiMath branch in synch with the mainline.

For my own thing I'm very comfortable fixing P1 2.2.x bugs for the next
while.

So sum1 keep on filing those weird crashers. Everyone reveals another
weakness in the code base.