Re: RFC: 2.3 feature list

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 23:34:53 CET

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:20 +1100, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:

> > On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 10:35 +0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> >> 1. EndOfBlock strux
> >> In my view this is an absolute must, and should be among the
> >> first
> >> things we do; if nothing else, it will make it possible for the
> >> user
> >> to select blocks in an intuitive and unambigious manner.
> >>

> This will introduce *A LOT* of regressions at first. We will have a hard
> time sorting through all the issues and we will need our intrepid QA guys
> to find all the nasty little holes we've left.

Then we'll have to write our regression test suite first. I know test is
boring, but UnitTEst and regression test are a must have.

> > 5. Index support
>
> We have a very large part of what we need for index support already in
> place in the TOC code. It just needs repacking ala positioned images vs
> text boxes.

That is what I thought.

> > 6. Vector graphics
>
> Yes!

The bigger problem is the "vector to printer" thingy. Rendering SVG on
screen is easy: we can raster. But on a printer, we cannot raster.

> > 7. Object embedding
> >

> needs the above and would be very nice.

Sure :-) 7 require 6. If you get at least 6, then we can postpong 7 for
later, because this will be a big issue.

> My "small" extra features would be:
>
> 1. Progress bar.
> 2. Split screens.
> 3. Optional Tabbed interface like firefox.
>
> These two will benefit enormously from Marc's RC work.

UI design. There are a few things already to be redone.

> 4. Grammar checking framework to allow grammar checkers to be plugged into
> AbiWord

Modify the spell checking to support grammar. That is not a lot.

> My big extra feature is Math.
>
> This already seems like too much work for 2.4 and I really want to keep
> the AbiMath branch in synch with the mainline.

tag merging like explained :-)

Hub

--
Crazy French - http://www.figuiere.net/hub/