Re: Auto correct piecetable after loading.

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 01:50:36 CEST

>> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 11:00:40PM +1000, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> PT should lazy-create blocks, pages, etc... if none exist
>>> i don't believe that this is an import-msword problem. i believe that
>>> it
>>> is a
>>> much more general problem - one that uwog encountered before.
>>
>> Note that my officemate Brian Demsky just submitted a paper to a
>> conference where he uses his research to automatically correct bad
>> AbiWord data structures. This isn't ready for production use yet,
>> though.
>>

> Well gee, just making sure there was a block afer a section would have
> solved Dom's problem above :-)
>
> I thought we could solve an extra 90% of bad imports with a few if's and
> case statements!
>
> I guess the point is that we can tell a document is incorrectly imported
> with a few "if" and "case" statements. So if we just did this we'd stop
> abiword from crashing which is what it currently does.
>
> Then if we can solve 90% of these bad imports we're further ahead.
>
> If we can solve 99% of these we've prolly reached dimishing returns.
>
> So what does "production ready" mean?
>
> In any case I'm delighted AbiWord is a useful test case for cutting edge
> CS research at MIT :-)

Actually there are a whole other set of incorrectness issues that could
usefully be solved by cutting edge MIT research. Things like making sure
the various ID's are present and match the values they should be.

I'm really interested in this. Do you have a reference? I'd be very
interested to see if I could I understand it :-)