Re: OpenDocument patch - Support for numbered lists

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 01:33:49 CEST

> One of them is the lists01.odt test document made by Alan Horkan, from
> the odt_test_suite. It made me aware of some list oddities :-). Thanks Alan.

That is what they were there for, glad they were useful.

> I think that the support for lists have reached a very reasonable stage.
> Further improvements, in my opinion, would take a lot of work and/or
> would require ugly hacks to do the translation of those missing
> OpenDocument features to AbiWord. So, I will probably leave it that way
> for now and begin the work on other features.

Lists get really ugly and confusing and I have only done complicated lists
when I was intentionally trying to break^W crash^W test abiword.

I thought it was OpenOffice that was missing list functionality Abiword
provided rather than the other way around. So perhaps if you can spare
some time to explain how the lists in Abiword are lacking in some ways the
developer might be able to more easily improve things on the abiword side
than you think. I realise however there were some tradeoffs in the number
systems and cases where it was difficult to have things both ways so
the developers did the best they could at the time which although
not necessarily what OpenOffice would like it was and is some very
impressive work.

Goodnight

Sincerely

Alan Horkan