Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: Jean Bréfort <jean.brefort_at_normalesup.org>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 16:14:44 CET

Le mercredi 12 janvier 2005 à 07:34 +0000, Francis James Franklin a
écrit :
> Hi,
>
> If we are going to support SVG then we should really also support JPEG
> since the SVG standard, iirc, allows for embedded PNG & JPEG images.
>
> On 11 Jan 2005, at 10:42, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> > For XML data, the appropriate plugin might be determined using XML
> > namespaces.
>
> I don't like this.
>
> Technically all namespaces in a document should be defined in the DTD
> (not that Abi's DTD is anywhere near up-to-date).

Why? I do not understand that. XML namespaces have been devised to give
the possibility to make modular documents with data coming from multiple
software modules. You don't need everything described in the main
document DTD os schema.

> My real objection is that it's Abi that would be responsible for
> parsing & creating the embedded XML, which although possible is
> technically awkward.

The plugin should do that, not abiword. I do not think it is so
difficult.

> Far better, imho, to store all generic embedded data as base-64 encoded
> data along with the name of the responsible plugin, a mime-type, and a
> base-64 encoded image preview.

IMHO, we should have keep a human readable format as far as possible,
even for embedded objects.

Regards,

Jean