Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: Luca Padovani <lpadovan_at_cs.unibo.it>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 16:27:12 CET

Hi Jean,

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 16:14 +0100, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> The plugin should do that, not abiword. I do not think it is so
> difficult.

I think that the main difficulty is letting the plugin work with the
internal AbiWord document model. This is not generally easy. Think of
bonobo plugins where there is no guarantee that the plugin will run in
the same address space as AbiWord. I already went thru this issue when
implementing the bonobo component for gtkmathview.

> > Far better, imho, to store all generic embedded data as base-64 encoded
> > data along with the name of the responsible plugin, a mime-type, and a
> > base-64 encoded image preview.
>
> IMHO, we should have keep a human readable format as far as possible,
> even for embedded objects.

I personally do not consider human readability of XML as a strong plus,
except for debugging purposes. I think the neat advantages of having
embedded objects be represented as actual XML instead of serialized,
encoded strings would be more automatic processing of AbiWord documents
(say with an XSLT stylesheet), and automatic searching. My understading
on the reluctancy of AbiWord developers on this point is that they are
(rightly) concerned about complexity and (possibly backward)
compatibility of the AbiWord document structure.

Cheers,
--luca

--
Luca Padovani <lpadovan@cs.unibo.it>