Re: documentation questions

From: Reinout van Schouwen <reinout_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 12:01:21 CET

Hubert,

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:20:37 -0500, Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr> wrote:

> What is wrong with using AbiWord ?

That the AbiWord format wasn't meant as a on-screen help format!

> Seriously, not using AbiWord for our own purpose shows that we are just
> lame and don't even trust own thing. "Eat your own dog food".

Of course not. The abw format is excellent for example documents,
templates etc. But you want online help to be viewed in whatever
format is default on the platform you're using it on. Consistency!

> Don't we have revisions in AbiWord now ? Then we should use that, so
> that translator could look at the difference.

Great. Yet another way of translating a translator has to get used to.
Why did you ever bother to use the gettext format for interface
translations, why not just abw?

I think you're seriously underestimating the effort that goes into
translating stuff. Using standardized formats makes the life of a
translator easier, i.e. they can use their preferred editor with
translation memory support etc. I don't think AbiWord is the best tool
for that job.

regards,

--
Reinout